Kristina Zalnieraite, who heads nutrition for Keto Cycle, says their team of nutritionists created the pocket guide for dieters after questions about alcohol began trending on the mobile app.
“We heard from consumers across the spectrum, asking if it was okay to drink wine or beer or cocktails,” said Zalnieraite. “The answer is yes, you can drink alcohol on the Keto diet. You just need to know which types of alcohol to avoid, and how mixers play a pivotal role in keeping with your goals.”
Zalnieraite says strong spirits like vodka, gin, whiskey, rum and tequila are Keto friendly since they are low in carbs, but the wrong mixers can quickly offset any advantages from the low carb alcohols.
On the opposite spectrum, Zalnieraite says most standard beers contain too many carbs for the Keto diet. But she says there are a variety of light beers that have less than 4g of carbs. She advised users on the Keto diet to select beers with fewer than 7g of carbs, and stressed consumers should limit their consumption to no more than 7 total grams of carbs.
“A glass of dry white, red or rose wine shouldn’t throw off your Keto diet, but if you are into bubbles, choose a sparkling wine or champagne that has Extra Brut or Brut written on the label,” Zalnieraite said. “Dry wines pair nicely with food, especially keto-style meals that are higher in fat. A Keto-friendly meal paired with a dry wine will enhance the flavor of the food and the drink.”
Keto dieters interested in seeing more popular Keto-friendly cocktail recipes can click download Keto Cycle on iOS and Android.
Most Popular Keto-Friendly Cocktails
Zalnieraite advises consumers interested in cocktails to look for the keto-friendly sweetener, Erythritol, as a sugar substitute. She said it has a neutral taste compared with other sweeteners.
“Erythritol belongs to a class of compounds called sugar alcohols,” said Zalnieraite. “It contains roughly 70 percent of the sweetness of sugar, so you might need to scoop a bit more if you’re looking to match that sugary taste. Erythritol is generally considered safe to use, but consuming large amounts of sugar alcohols can cause bloating and digestive upset. So follow moderation as the key rule concerning alcohol and erythritol.”
Keto Cycle is sharing the most popular Keto-friendly cocktail recipes that were saved by their users.
Keto Whiskey Sour – 178.6 calories and 1.1 grams of carbs
- Whiskey or bourbon of choice 2oz/60 ml
- Lemon juice, freshly squeezed 1-2 tbsp
- Erythritol syrup 2-3 tbsp
- Egg white (optional) 1/3 of medium egg
- Angostura Bitters a few drops
- Add whiskey/bourbon, lemon juice, erythritol syrup and egg white, if using, to a shaker and dry-shake for 30 sec without ice.
- Add ice and shake again until well-chilled. Taste the cocktail. Adjust the sweetness or sourness by adding more erythritol syrup or lemon juice if needed.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with 3 or 4 drops of Angostura bitters.
Keto Vodka Lemonade – 194 calories and 6.1 grams of total carbs
- Lime juice, freshly squeezed 2 tbsp
- Erythritol syrup 2-3 tbsp
- Sparkling water 4 oz/120 ml
- Vodka 2oz/60ml
- Cucumber 1 medium
- Basil, leaves 1 handful
- Ice cubes Enough to fill the shaker and the glass
- Slice the cucumber, leave half for garnishing and add the rest into the cocktail shaker.
- Add the basil leaves (leaving a few for garnishing). Gently muddle the cucumber and the leaves so that the juices from the cucumber and aroma from basil come out.
- Add lime juice and erythritol syrup. Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake thoroughly. Taste the cocktail. Adjust the sweetness or sourness by adding more erythritol syrup or lime juice if needed.
- Strain the mixture into ice-filled glass. Top with sparkling water. Garnish with cucumber slices and basil leaves.
- Lime 1/2 sliced in four pieces
- Erythritol, granular 1.5-2 tbsp
- Mint leaves 8 leaves
- White rum 2oz/60 ml
- Sparkling water 3oz/90 ml
- Crushed ice enough to fill 3/4 of glass
- Roll the lime on the table. This will tenderize the lime and make it easier to juice. Cut away the ends and divide the fruit in half. Take one half and cut it lengthwise, then slice across to make a total of 8 wedges. Transfer the sliced lime to a glass.
- Put mint leaves in the glass together with the lime. Try picking leaves that sit on the top of the spring as they have the most flavor.
- Add 1.5-2 tbsp of granular erythritol. Use a drink muddler to gently press the mint leaves, the lime pieces and the sugar. Make sure not to mash the leaves. Mashing the leaves will bring out unwanted bitterness.
- Fill the glass 3/4 with crushed ice. Add the white rum. Fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water. Use a long spoon to gently stir and mix the ingredients.
- Finish off by topping up the glass with crushed ice and garnishing with mint leaves.
Nutritional values per serving:
Calories: 176 kcal
Total Carbs: 2.5 g
Net Carbs: 2.4 g
Fats: 0 g
Protein: 0.1 g
Keto Cycle has published more Keto-friendly cocktail recipes that consumers can see on the app. Among the most popular recipes saved by consumers: a Strawberry Margarita, Old Cuban, Mojito and a unique twist on the popular Bloody Mary. All of these low-carb cocktails have less than 200 calories per glass.
About Keto Cycle – Ketogenic Diet App
Keto Cycle is a ketogenic diet app that provides personalized keto programs for users to best target weight loss goals. Ketogenic diets are extremely effective ways to lose weight, improve health and increase energy levels. The mobile app helps users with easy progress tracking, personalized meal planning, effective workouts, and support from nutritionists. The Keto Cycle app is available to download on iOS and Android.
Source :Keto Cycle
This article was originally published by IssueWire. Read the original article here.
Disclaimer: The views, suggestions, and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the experts. No Boston New Times journalist was involved in the writing and production of this article.